Arrival and Dismissal Policies
Children with contracted Beforecare may arrive between 7:30am and 8:10am.
- Elementary: Please park (see map below) and walk your child to Sitka Studio.
- Huckleberry, Butterfly, Sunflower & Maple: Please park (see map below) and walk your child to their classroom door.
Beforecare Parking Map
- PARK ON SCHOOL SIDE OF STREET: Please park on the school side of the street and walk your child through the pedestrian gates, the Sunberry garden gate or the front door.
- NO PARKING IN DRIVE-THROUGH DROP-OFF LANE: 7:45-8:25am: No parking in the drive-through drop-off lane, along Carolina St. between Corbett Ave. and the blacktop. This area is reserved for our drive-though drop-off line. Thank you!
8:10-8:25 SCHOOL DAY DROP-OFF
Due to a contracted neighborhood agreement and limited parking, we ask that all families use the drive-through drop-off between 8:10 and 8:25am. Drive-through drop-off ends at 8:25am to allow children time to make it into their classroom by 8:30am. After 8:25am you can park on the school side of the street, walk your child through the front doors, and say goodbye in the Commons. A staff member will escort them to the classroom as needed. Please see the Late Arrivals, & Early Pick-ups policy for more details.
School Day Drop-off Map
- APPROACH FROM CORBETT AVE. ONLY: Approach the school driving east ONLY down Carolina St., turn into the school driveway, and pull across the blacktop. Staff will help children out of cars.
- RIGHT LANE FAST LANE – LEFT LANE SLOW LANE: The drive-through has two lanes. The right lane is the fast lane and the left lane is the slow lane.
- Please use the right lane if your child is older and ready to hop out. Drivers in the right lane, please stay in your car.
- Please use the left lane if your child is younger, slower moving, needs assistance out of the car, and/or needs a longer goodbye. Drivers in the left lane can either stay in their car and let staff assist their children, or put their car in park, turn off the engine and assist their children out of the car. Drivers, please do not leave your car to escort your child to the classroom. The staff will take care to do that.
Dismissal and Pick Up
1:00pm Children’s House Dismissal
1:00pm dismissal is available for Children’s House students who are enrolled in the half-day program. Students may be picked up at 1:00pm. Please wait outside as follows, and your child will be brought to you:
- Butterfly: the South entrance (along Dakota St.)
- Maple: the North entrance (along Carolina St.)
- Sunflower: the SunBerry Garden Gate (adjacent to Carolina St.)
3:00pm School Day Dismissal
3:00pm dismissal applies to Children’s House and Elementary students who are enrolled in the full-day program and not contracted for Aftercare. Students may be picked up between 3:00-3:15pm. Please wait outside as follows, and your child will be brought to you:
- Butterfly, Camassia, Lupine: the South entrance (along Dakota St.)
- Maple and Trillium: the North entrance (along Carolina St.)
- Sunflower and Huckleberry: the classroom door
- Siblings: all siblings will be dismissed from the North entrance (along Carolina St.)
3:00PM School Day Dismissal Map
- WALK UP: Park on the school side of the street and walk up and wait outside of the North or South entrance, or the Sunflower or Huckleberry door. Avoid parking in the south side drive-up lane (see map). An adult will dismiss your child to you from the door.
- DRIVE UP-SOUTH SIDE ONLY: Line up in the drive-up lane (see map). An adult will escort your child to you. Pull away safely and carefully.
- TRAFFIC CIRCULATION-SOUTH SIDE ONLY: Due to limited space and the drive-up lane on the south side please drive WEST ONLY along Dakota St. between 2:45 and 3:30pm.
3:15-5:30pm Aftercare Dismissal
- Huckleberry, Butterfly, Sunflower, Maple, Elementary Aftercare: Families can come to the classroom door (or playground if children are outside) from 3:15pm to 5:30pm to pick up their children. Please be sure to check your child out with a classroom staff member if on the playground.
- Children’s House students who are not *contracted for Aftercare and are not picked up by 3:30 will be signed into the Commons and parents will be billed the Elementary Aftercare drop-in rate (see tuition and fees under Admissions on our website). Please park on the school side of the street and come to the Commons to pick-up your child.
*Please note that contracted aftercare is automatically included in Toddler and AYM contracts.
- Elementary children who are not contracted for Aftercare and who are not picked up by 3:30pm will be signed into Elementary Aftercare, and parents will be billed the Elementary Aftercare drop-in rate. Please park on the school side of the street and come to the Commons (3:15-3:30pm) or the Aftercare room (after 3:30pm) to pick-up your child.
- Aftercare will be charged $5/minute/child.
Late Arrivals and Early Pick-ups
According to state licensing requirements, we can release students only to parents, legal guardians, and persons listed on the pick-up authorization section of your child’s Emergency Form. We must also have verbal or written permission, from a parent or legal guardian of the child being picked up, each time we release a child to someone other than his/her parent or legal guardian.
To release a child to someone other than a parent or legal guardian:
- Email attendance or phone each time to give verbal permission for pick-up.
- To add a new person to your authorized pick-up list, log into ParentsWeb or contact email@example.com.
If the person picking up isn’t on your list, and we don’t have verbal or written permission, we cannot release your child.
Scheduled weekly pick-ups or carpool arrangements are excepted from this rule (see below).
Please plan to explain our dismissal procedures to anyone who will pick up your child to avoid any confusion and disorder. If your authorized pick-up person is not a parent of a child at Sunstone, please have them come to the front desk before the first time they pick-up. Staff will check and copy their ID and direct them to the appropriate pick-up station. Once they have been checked, they no longer need to come to the front desk prior to picking up your child.
Please note that in the case of joint custody, both parents need to give permission to add adults to a child’s pick-up list. Sunstone cannot release a child to anyone not approved by both custodial parents.
Scheduled Weekly Pick-ups/Carpool Arrangements
If you have a person other than a parent or legal guardian pick up your child on a regular basis, you can schedule a regular weekly pick-up or carpool arrangement with attendance.
For regular pick-ups and/or carpool arrangements, email attendance with a schedule including days, times, and the adults and children involved. Once your child is scheduled and listed on the regular pick-up list, they are set for the year and you need only email attendance or call the front desk if the standing scheduled pick-up changes.