If your child will be absent, tardy, or needs an early pick-up, please email attendance and your child’s Guide, or call the front desk. The front desk will deliver the attendance information to your child’s Guide and any other necessary staff member. Consistent attendance and on-time arrival are vital to the success of your child’s experience at Sunstone. The school will contact you in the morning if your child is absent and we have not heard from you by 9:00am.
Late Arrival from 8:30-9:00am – All Classrooms
Children who arrive late typically have a hard time transitioning into the flow of the classroom and engaging with materials. A late arrival is also disruptive to the other children in the classroom community. Your child will thrive with a consistent on-time schedule in which they are able to start their day with the rest of their classmates.
- All Classrooms: If you arrive between 8:30-9:00am you can bring your child to the Commons through the front doors. Please sign them in at the front desk, and a staff member will escort them to their classroom.
Toddler and Children’s House Late Arrivals:
Late Arrival after 9:00am
- Huckleberry: If you need to drop your child off after 9:00am, please wait until noon or the following day. If dropping off at noon, please notify attendance as soon as possible, and Huckleberry staff will meet you at the SunBerry Garden gate (next to Carolina St.) at noon.
- Sunflower, Maple, Butterfly: If you need to drop your child off after 9:00am, please wait until the window of time from 12:30-1:00pm (provided your child is here until 3:00pm). We will be playing outside after lunch during this time and your child can join us with ease. Please notify attendance as soon as possible, and bring your child to the front desk between 12:30-1:00pm. A staff member will escort your child to join their class on the playground.
Late Arrival for Appointments:
- If your child requires an appointment, please contact your child’s Guide well in advance to coordinate a schedule that best supports your child and the rest of the classroom community.
Late Arrival for Support Services:
- If your child has regular appointments for support services (such as occupational therapy or speech), please contact your child’s Guide to coordinate a schedule that best supports your child and the rest of the classroom community.
Toddler and Children’s House Early Pick-ups:
- Afternoon Appointments/Early Pick-ups: If your child has an afternoon appointment or needs to be picked up before 3:00pm for any reason, she/he is welcome to come for the morning work cycle and be dismissed at 12:00pm (Toddler) or 1:00pm (Children’s House). Please contact attendance as soon as possible.
- Toddler: You can pick your child up at 12:00pm at the SunBerry Garden gate (next to Carolina St.).
- Children’s House: You can pick your child up at 1:00pm in the Commons.
Elementary Late Arrivals and Early Pick-ups:
Late Arrival: If you arrive after 8:25am you can bring your child through the front doors and say goodbye in the Commons. Please sign them in at the front desk, and a staff member will escort them to their classroom. If you expect to be later than 9:00am, please notify attendance, email@example.com.
Early Pick-up: If you need to pick-up your child before 3:00pm, please contact attendance as soon as possible, firstname.lastname@example.org. You can pick your child up in the Commons.
In cases of extended absences, please let the front desk and your child’s Guide know the timing and duration of the absence as soon as possible.
If your child is ill, please email attendance or call the front desk so that we can alert other families of contagious conditions and take preventative measures in the classroom. We will notify families of communicable conditions such as strep throat, head lice, chickenpox and other childhood diseases.