Sunstone COVID Policy
Updated June 3, 2022
The following are general guidelines and subject to change at anytime. Please keep in mind that there is not one single black and white scenario for everyone or every case. We will evaluate next steps on a case by case basis, taking into consideration the specific details of each case, household circumstances, vaccination status, and guidance from our local public health authority.
WHEN TO STAY HOME SUMMARY
- Stay home if you exhibit ANY of the symptoms listed below.
- Stay home if you come in contact with a presumptive or positive case of COVID and you exhibit any symptoms listed below.
- Stay home if you test positive.
The following list of COVID symptoms is in accordance with the CDC:
- Fever or chills (fever being 100.4 degrees F or higher)
- New, persistent, or severe cough (new meaning not typical asthma, allergies, etc.)
- Loss of taste or smell
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing or abnormal wheezing
- Diarrhea or vomiting
- Nausea or imminent vomiting
- Muscle or body aches
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Feeling unwell, lethargic, unable to participate in normal activities
INDIVIDUALS WITH SYMPTOMS & NO KNOWN EXPOSURE
Regardless of vaccination status, we recommend individuals who have no known exposure and exhibit one or more of the symptoms listed above to:
- Stay home.
- Email email@example.com with symptoms and details.
- Primary Symptoms: Test immediately. PCR test preferred, rapid test accepted.
- Non-Primary Symptoms: Monitor symptoms for 24 hours. If symptoms persist or worsen, please test. PCR test preferred, rapid tests accepted.
- Email test results to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If test is negative, students and staff may return to school when fever free for a full 24 hours without medication and symptom free.
- If test is positive please isolate and follow our Positive Test Policy (below).
Students and staff who are fully vaccinated and who have been *exposed to a known positive case do not need to quarantine if:
- they can isolate from the known positive case for 5 full days after exposure (with date of last exposure being day zero),
- and they are not symptomatic,
- and they are able to wear a well fitting mask when around others for a full 10 days after the last date of exposure. (This means they will be masked at school, inside and outside, for 10 full days after exposure, except when eating or drinking).
If symptoms occur within the 10-day monitoring window, quarantine and get tested. (PCR tests preferred.) If no symptoms occur before day 5, please test on day 5 and email test results to email@example.com. Refrain from any travel during the 10-day monitoring window.
NOT FULLY VACCINATED
Students who are not fully vaccinated and who have been exposed to a known positive case will quarantine for 5 full days after exposure (with date of last exposure being day zero).
- If symptoms occur within the 5 day quarantine, please test and email test results to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If no symptoms occur within the 5 day quarantine period, please test on day 5, and email test results to email@example.com.
Students are welcome to return on day 6 if:
- they are symptom free and fever free for a full 24 hours without the aid of medication,
- and test negative, please email test results to firstname.lastname@example.org,
- and are able to wear a well fitting mask when around others for a full 10 days after the last date of exposure. (This means they will be masked at school, inside and outside, through the 10th day after exposure, except when eating or drinking).
POSITIVE TEST POLICY
We are required to exclude from the program, for 5 days, any child or staff member, regardless of vaccination status, who tests positive for COVID-19. If your enrolled child tests positive for COVID please:
- Quarantine immediately
- Email email@example.com with date of positive test and, if symptomatic, description of symptoms and date symptoms started.
- Isolate at home for at least 5 days (Day 0 is the day symptoms started or, if asymptomatic, the date the positive test specimen was collected. Day 1 is the first full day after your symptoms developed or, if asymptomatic, your test specimen was collected.)
- Wear a well-fitting mask around others, both at home and in public, for a full 10 days.
- Return to school on day 6 of quarantine if fever free for a full 24 hours without medication and symptom free. A negative test is not required to return to school however, should your child be tested again prior to returning, we would appreciate you sharing the results (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Contact with someone infected with SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, in a way that increases the likelihood of getting infected with the virus.
Close contacts are individuals who were less than 6 feet away from an infected person (laboratory-confirmed or a clinical diagnosis) for a cumulative total of 15 minutes or more over a 24-hour period. For example, three individual 5-minute exposures for a total of 15 minutes.
Well fitting face masks are required on campus, inside and outside, for everyone aged 3 years and older, with the exception of Elementary students and staff for whom masks are optional when on the playground or when working outside in the courtyard. 2-year-olds can wear masks if they are able to take them off by themselves, wear them effectively, and tolerate them. We recommend N95, KN95, and KF94 face masks. KF94 masks have been shown to have a better fit on children and small face size. Here are a few options:
COVID-19 VACCINATION REQUIREMENTS
Sunstone staff are required to be fully vaccinated per OAR 333-019-1030. Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination (or a medical or religious exemption) is required for anyone on campus who is of vaccination age.
TRAVEL QUARANTINE POLICY
Regardless of vaccination status, if any members of your household (this includes regular caregivers) travel on a commercial boat, train, plane, or bus (such as Greyhound), please wear a well fitting mask when traveling, when in public spaces, and when around others.
Regardless of vaccination status, any student or staff who travels is required to test after returning home and before returning to school. Please email a photo of the test result with the date of your return to email@example.com.
If the return to school is within 5 days of the date of return, we will require another test on day 5 after the date of return. Please email a photo of the test result to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Student or staff travelers, age 3 and older, will be required to wear a well fitting mask, indoors and outdoors, except when eating or drinking, while on campus for 10 days after the date of return.
If student or staff travelers exhibit any symptoms after returning home, please stay home, test, and email a photo of the test result to email@example.com.
Please feel free to contact Cathy with any questions and thank you for your commitment to the health and safety of the entire Sunstone community.
Sunstone follows the cleaning and sanitation guidelines as outlined in the Health and Safety Guidelines by the Early Learning Division of the Oregon Department of Education and Oregon Health Authority. See chapter 10, Cleaning and Building Maintenance, p 35.