Journey & Discovery Parent Education Event
January 24, 2020 @ 6:00 pm - January 25, 2020 @ 1:00 pm
Community Participation: 8 hours per person
Reservations Coming Soon
Let our Guides take you on a journey of discovery! 25 parents along with Sunstone’s Guides and Program Director will begin on Friday evening from 6:00-8:00pm, and continue again on Saturday morning after a group breakfast at 8:30am. The journey and discovery will wrap up after lunch, around 1:00pm, on Saturday.
What is the Silent Journey and Discovery?
This is absolutely the BEST way to understand Montessori and your child’s school experience. It’s a unique opportunity for parents to put themselves in their children’s shoes and experience first-hand what their children are doing, how they are learning, and how they will develop throughout their years in Montessori.
The group will be limited to 25 participants and reservations are a must. We hope that you will be able to join us.
Silent Journey and Discovery Schedule – What to Expect
- The teachers will prepare the classroom environments by displaying a variety of lessons throughout the classrooms.
- Staff will meet with the group for about 30 minutes on Friday night. Parents will have an opportunity to share their educational experiences as well as their perception of their child’s experience at Sunstone.
- Following the discussion, the group will be led into one classroom environment at each program level, with strict instructions not to speak. Participants will have about 15 minutes in each level to experience, explore and absorb the environments. A questionnaire will be provided for each environment and participants will be invited to share their observations with the group at the end of the “Silent Journey”. The participants will gather briefly before going home for the evening.
- After a group breakfast on Saturday morning, staff will meet briefly with the group. Participants will then move through each program level, from Toddler to Upper Elementary, and choose activities of interest among the materials and lessons that are displayed by the teachers.
- Each activity will have cards associated with it. Some cards will have directions for exploring the materials on your own while others will instruct the participant to “Ask for a lesson!” from a guide.
- After spending time with the materials in each of the program levels, Toddler, Primary, Lower and Upper Elementary, we will return as a group to process our experience.